What is EMU?
EMU is an international scientific organization. Its objective is to further European cooperation in the Mineralogical Sciences (mineralogy, petrology, geochemistry and their applications).
Members of EMU
The members of EMU are national scientific societies representing mineral scientists from European countries. There is no individual membership, but individual sponsors are welcome.
Structure of EMU
The executive body of EMU is the Council, which meets at least once per year. The Council consists of delegates of the member societies. The number of delegates reflects the size of the societies. The Council Meeting is organised in connection with European Conferences sponsored by EMU.
Between Council Meetings, the Executive Committee, elected for four years, co-ordinates the work of EMU.
Financial background of EMU
EMU’s main income is the annual membership fee paid by the national member societies. General sponsors and sponsors of individual actions of EMU are most welcome.
EMU conference policy
EMU provides scientific sponsorship to meetings of high scientific standard and of international character organized in Europe.
EMU publication policy
EMU co-publishes the Notes in Mineralogy series together with the Mineralogical Society of the United Kingdom and Ireland.
EMU cooperates with the European Journal of Mineralogy (EJM).
The main activities of EMU
- EMU represents most European mineralogical societies and supports their activities with the aim to foster collaboration.
- EMU sponsors symposia during various European scientific conferences (such as EGU, EMPG, ECM) and supports scientific meetings and workshops organised in Europe.
- EMU organises a series of Schools focused on fundamental topics for Mineralogy and allied sciences, as well to their applications to environmental, industrial, and health issues. Attendance to these Schools is supported especially for graduate and PhD students.
- In connection with EMU Schools, volume of the EMU Notes in Mineralogy are prepared, published and distributed at no-profit prices.
- Since Jannuary 1998, EMU has been affilated to the International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS) and has a full official status as an international scientific organisation.
- The EMU Research Excellence Medal is awarded annually.
- Free subscription to EJM for libraries of Central and Eastern European universities
- Since Jannuary 1998, EMU has been affiliated to the International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS) and has a full official status as an international scientific organisation.
- Research Excellence Medal awarded annually
- Symposia in the fields of the EMU Schools
- Sponsorship of European international mineralogical conferences
- Sponsorship of the conference series on Experimental Mineralogy, Petrology and Geochemistry (EMPG)